Date ranges can be entered and displayed as creation date so that approximate dates can be given where an item was created over a period of time

Many of our research projects have data items / artefacts with uncertain dates of provenance, this information can currently be recorded on Figshare at the moment using custom metadata fields to indicate 2 dates for a range.

However, discoverability is the issue, especially if a viewer of a collection was trying to narrow thousands of records down via year.

I'd accept you still need the 'Posted by' date and this would remain untouched, and I assume this would be achieved by having additional custom metadata fields which were date input fields.

Hello,

Just thought I'd post an update on a thought I had on this subject (not wishing to 'solutionise!'). Following realising that you can have 'date' as a custom metadata field already, which means in theory it may then be easier to achieve this bit of functionality than first thought. 

However appreciate, there are 2 key components that will result in us getting to where we need to be on this:

1. Unrestrict the number of years back in time you are able to select on a date field - as the earliest it appears you can select is 1900. If we could get it down to a year of 1AD that's a start and gives us 2020 years worth of possibilities, before in the future scratch our heads as to how we may address BC dates!
  2. If I am correct in thinking, planned improvements to metadata / faceted search would then release the possibility to search on some of the custom metadata field - e.g as an example you could use 'RECORD NOT BEFORE' & 'RECORD NOT AFTER' to pinpoint your search by a range.

Thanks, Damon.

There's a few things here. To try and clarify: 

• We're currently in the middle of FOR code category work. After that is some new dates. then after THAT is partial dates, which will include just year support.
  • We should be able to support at least down to 1 ad, hopefully more. We can do this on the above 
  • I don't think we'll do the custom date range stuff any time soon. We've got a lot of work to do around dates that takes priority and this is some really complex stuff for us to support. We should revisit once we have tackled new dates, partial dates and <1900 dates

Login or Signup to post a comment