Date ranges can be entered and displayed as creation date so that approximate dates can be given where an item was created over a period of time

Many of our research projects have data items / artefacts with uncertain dates of provenance, this information can currently be recorded on Figshare at the moment using custom metadata fields to indicate 2 dates for a range.

However, discoverability is the issue, especially if a viewer of a collection was trying to narrow thousands of records down via year.

I'd accept you still need the 'Posted by' date and this would remain untouched, and I assume this would be achieved by having additional custom metadata fields which were date input fields.

1 Comment

Hello,

Just thought I'd post an update on a thought I had on this subject (not wishing to 'solutionise!'). Following realising that you can have 'date' as a custom metadata field already, which means in theory it may then be easier to achieve this bit of functionality than first thought. 

However appreciate, there are 2 key components that will result in us getting to where we need to be on this:

1. Unrestrict the number of years back in time you are able to select on a date field - as the earliest it appears you can select is 1900. If we could get it down to a year of 1AD that's a start and gives us 2020 years worth of possibilities, before in the future scratch our heads as to how we may address BC dates!
  2. If I am correct in thinking, planned improvements to metadata / faceted search would then release the possibility to search on some of the custom metadata field - e.g as an example you could use 'RECORD NOT BEFORE' & 'RECORD NOT AFTER' to pinpoint your search by a range.

Thanks, Damon.

Login or Signup to post a comment